Joint voices

WELCOME! Looking for some intelligent dialog between nationalities - a place for anyone and everyone to speak their mind, and listen to other minds, and maybe some difference, no matter how small, will be made. Welcoming more contributors! the more the better!

Monday, July 24, 2006

Oh the humanity. Oh, the depression.

I find myself shifting from optimism to numbness and then to severe depression.

I'm not sure what to do. I read Ramsay Short's blog and I see the gap between us is growing and growing. The hate is spiraling out of control. My own attempts at dialog are reciprocated by talkbackers, but not the blog's authors (whom I was trying to reach), it seems they ignore me and the other Israelis. I'm beginning to get frustrated. It is ok (and expected) of Israelis to speak of Lebanese victims, but it's ok for the Lebanese to ignore Israeli victims? innocent children are dying here too, you know. Who speaks for them?
And of course, there's the horror photos. It's a hard case to plea before photos like that. Should I start posting pictures of bodies decapitated by Hizballah katyusha rockets? we could do that, it's just that it has always seemed barbaric to do so.

It's not that I'm belittling the horrible destruction going on in Lebanon, that they have far greater numbers of casualties. But it doesn't mean there aren't senseless deaths here too, and I am against both. Everyone should be against both, otherwise it is a double standard - the lives of Lebanese children do not outweigh the lives of Israeli children and vice versa, this should be the focus - but it seems the grip is slipping on that focus.

Some call us devils, I can understand that. But at the very least - we are not the only devils here. Why do I find myself apologising all the time?

3 Comments:

Blogger seniorcitizen said...

I am a 60 year old american. I don't know much about blogging. I just happen upon this site and felt that i wanted to add my two cents. I say shame on you Israel!!. I think that attacking Lebanon is the biggrst mistake that istrael has made lately. I believe you have made more enemys than friends with this action. I find myself not likeing this country very much. I think your goverment is getting way to arragant. Yes, you have injured people. but not the amount that Lebanese and the Palastina have suffured. i find myself not feeling sorry for your injured people when your country has caused so much pain to others. I think my country made a mistake when thay allow weapons to be sold to your country. I believe that if all the countrys around Israel had the same amount of weapons there would be peace. Or you all would blow yourself away. i believe in a equal playing fill, not one sided like it is now.

26/7/06 5:50 PM  
Blogger Lilu said...

I respect your opinion and thank you for expressing it.

Just one thing: how do you feel about the American action in Iraq and Afganistan?

26/7/06 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Michael Newcomb said...

Lilu, seniorcitizen's views are in the minority and demonstrate a lack of understanding as to what would happen if militant muslim groups and nations were equally armed.

"Intelligent" Americans and Eurpeans know:

1. Hamas's charter calls for the destruction of the state of Israel and the creation of an Islamic Republic in its place. [http://www.mideastweb.org/hamas.htm]

2. Hezbollah supports the destruction of the state of Israel[http://www.unb.ca/web/bruns/9900/issue14/intnews/israel.html] and has co-operated with other militant Islamic organizations such as Hamas in order to promote this goal.[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hezbollah]

There is no doubt in my mind that if the muslim world were equally armed Israel would be wiped from the map in accordance with militant muslim goals.

Its sad seniorcitizen and those like him/her have no understanding of what Israel is up against.

Good luck.

P.S. - Seniorcitizen, rather than equally arming those countries and entities who advocate the destruction of Israel on religous grounds (i.e. non-rational, logical grounds), why not disarm those groups and ensure a lasting peace?

26/7/06 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home