Joint voices

WELCOME! Looking for some intelligent dialog between nationalities - a place for anyone and everyone to speak their mind, and listen to other minds, and maybe some difference, no matter how small, will be made. Welcoming more contributors! the more the better!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

and a happy new year

Gee it seems like such a long time ago, when I last mentioned a Jewish holiday on here....

Well tonight is Rosh Hashana, the beginning of the Jewish new year. I've just gotten back from the family holiday dinner at my aunt and uncle's, up north (I'm stuffed..).
Like I may have said before, I'm not really religious (more of an agnostic), but certain holidays I celebrate out of tradition, not religion. Rosh Hashana is one of those, and the whole country practically shuts down on the holiday's eve. The one holiday tradition everyone seems to keep is new year's wishes to everyone, and new year's vows. This year everyone is wishing and vowing for a quiet year, or as one friend wished: "a boring year for everyone". Personally, I think my biggest vow for the year is to stop being so cynical and learn to reach out more - and that if I want change, I have to act on it myself - new exciting things wont just land in my lap, I have to make them happen.

So I'll start my shun of cynicism now, with some new year's wishes to all of us, to all of you out there wherever you are: Happy Rosh Hashana, may you have a happy, fruitful, gratifying year. May we have a year of rebuilding, replenishment and fulfillment. May we all make change happen. May it be a year full of excitment - but personal, not national and/or global :)

To all the Muslim folks - tomorrow is the beginning of Ramadan, so may you all have an easy fast (well that's what we wish on the Yom Kippur fast here...) and a fruitful month of contemplation and introspect.

May we all be blessed with peace and peacefullness. May we strengthen our friendships and bridge gaps. May we all keep listening.

Shana Tova!

(c) lilu 2005

* pomegranate /`pomi,granet/ n (an Old World tree that bears) a several-celled reddish berry that is about the size of an orange with a thick leathery skin and many seeds with pulpy crimson arils of tart flavor. It is a Jewish symbol and is eaten on Rosh Hashana 'so that our good deeds will be plentiful like the seeds of the pomegranate'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home